Notice of Summer Medical Travel Program Funds

This letter is to notify the Lower Elwha Tribal Community who utilize the PRC (formerly CHS) Travel Program that the summer tourist season is upon us. It happens earlier and earlier each year. We have been notified by the hotels that we utilize in the greater Seattle metro, and Silverdale/Bremerton areas that beginning April 1, 2024, these businesses will be implementing the first stages of “summer rate” changes, meaning the rates for popular tourist areas are expected to raise 3 to 4 times higher during this time and will range from $400-$750 per night. Hotels in these areas are booked well in advanced and fill up fastWe will do our best but cannot guarantee accommodations for an overnight stay.

I have attached the current Medical Travel Policy for reference of the overnight accommodations.

  • Hotels will be provided for emergency travel up to 4 days at a time, with a maximum of 30 days.
  • Tribal elders will be provided a hotel if the appointment check in time is before 10:00 am.
  • Tribal members with children under 2 will be provided hotel if the appointment check in time is before 9:30 am.
  • All other age groups will be provided hotel if the appointment check in time is before 9 am.
  • A note is required for hotel stays from a Lower Elwha provider if none of the above criteria is met.

**Please note that all travel is subject to availability and funds. A Travel Form with proof of appointment is required to be submitted 10 business days prior to travel. **

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this time. If you have any questions, please reach out to me, Corina Bolstrom, at 360.452.6252 Ext 7613 or work phone 360.797.3156.

Thank you,

Corina Bolstrom


Frequently Asked Medical Travel Questions

Who is eligible for medical travel:

Lower Elwha Klallam Tribal members who are PRC/CHS eligible.

What is medical travel:

Medical travel for PRC is funds used to assist tribal members who have appointments outside of Clallam County. This program pays for a per diem stipend of $50 per day, per tribal member. Hotel stay if applicable, and fuel of $50(Bremerton) $75 King County. Ferry passes

What are the requirements:

PRC is the payer of last resort, tribal members who have Medicaid will need to utilize those services first for Fuel and Ferry. You will be required to submit a travel form (available at the clinic) with proof of appt outside Clallam County.


  • Travel forms must be submitted 10 business day before travel (this gives accounting time to process checks).
  • In house items include (ferry passes and fuel vouchers)
  • Forms turned in will be processed in accordance with the policies, you will be called if more information is needed.
  • The policies for medical travel can be found on the front page of the travel form.
  • All efforts are made to get thing processed quickly, turning things in before travel helps us ensure that we can help you with your travel needs.
  • Upon return of travel all receipts must be turned in or you will be denied for future medical travel assistance.
  • If you lose a receipt, we have a lost receipt form that must be submitted.
  • We only pay for patient and driver (in cases) for per diem.
  • Hotels are only authorized for appts that require you to be there before 9 am. Elders that time is 10am.
  • Summertime is hard to get hotels as we are a tourist spot on the northwest. We ask that you make all regular appointments for later times during the summer months as we cannot guarantee a hotel room for you.
  • If you have Medicaid insurance you will need to submit your driver license, car insurance and car registration to and call 1.800.756.5438 to set up account and get fuel card and ferry card
  • We will always help with travel until you get set up with paratransit, and in case that paratransit denies services, with denial in writing.

If you have any further questions, please call Corina Bolstrom at 360.452.6252 Ext 7613 or